How to connect with your community.
Do you have ideas on how to make things better in your community? Do you want to meet other like minded people? Have you thought about running for student council or applying for a leadership position in your school, work or community organizations?
Here are some ways you can become more involved in your school and community.
- Make a list of 5 organizations that deal with subjects that interest you.
- Sign up for their newsletter and follow them on social media.
- Go to as many events each organization puts on as you can.
- Be 10 to 15 minutes early and be one of the last one to leave, sounds strange but it’s not.Coming early allows you to have extra time to talk to the presenter or president of the club. Use this time afterwards to ask questions or volunteer to help clean up, that will give you time to talk to more people in the group and get to know them.
- Sit towards the front and take notes during presentations. You’ll have the best seat to absorb all the information.
- Afterwards, ask a follow up question. Start thinking about what that question during the presentation. Then write it down so you don’t forget it. Asking a questions will give you more face time with the person. It’s also helps to be seen and asking questions when you want to connect with someone later and say, “Hey, remember me? Can you help me with this project I am working on?”
When you are a part of your community, you will create opportunities to join more teams and organizations and make a change in how things are done. Being connected in your community will help you grow as a person and it will give you opportunities to be a changemaker.